is a sound artist whose work traverses sound installation, performative sound art and sound for theatre and dance. In his installations and performances he is investigating the relationship of movement and sound, through the development of software and hardware as part of sculptural objects and instruments.
by Kat Válastur
Dance | Sound Design | Composition | Live Mixing
“The sound, the objects, the diffuse light, the emotional states of suspension, the karst and exalted movements - all of this seems bizarre and puzzling, sometimes disturbing and frightening. And everything together results in the image of an obsessive-compulsive neurotic society - that seems to be its present diagnosis here. There is no well-tempered equilibrium, only states of constant excitement.
This is nothing new as a diagnosis, but it is accurate and perfectly staged by Kat Valastur in one of her most haunting pieces.”
- Frank Schmid, rbbKultur (21-11-2019) [Source]
Concept, script & choreography: Kat Válastur
Performance: Juan Pablo Cámara, Ixchel Mendoza Hernandez, Gaetano Montecasino, Ogbitse Omagbemi, Tamar Sonn, Sarah Stanley, Tiran Willemse
Light design: Martin Beeretz
Sound design: Peter Breitenbach
Set design: Leon Eixenberger
Costume: Kat Válastur
Dramaturgical advice: Einav Katan-Schmid, Maja Zimmermann Outside eye: Alexandra Balona / Yiannis Papachristos
Assistance choreography: Kévin Quinaou
Production management: HAU Artist Office / Sabine Seifert
Touring & distribution: HAU Artist Office / Nicole Schuchardt
Further Information ︎.
- Video, editing: Kat Válastur
- Music: Peter Breitenbach (Composition for ›Arcana Swarm‹)
- Images, documentary photography: Richard Drew, Sebastiao Salgado, Robert Frank
- Paintings, art works: Jan Van Eyk, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Jacopo Pontormo, Théodore Géricault, Pieter Bruegel, intertwined with excerpts from the piece ›Arcana Swarm‹